Follow these expert tips and tricks to prepare your BBQ for the summer season. Not only does taking care of your BBQ prevent the spread of bacteria and parasites but it is also an excellent way to keep your grill for numerous years.
Make sure you follow these pro tips properly!
Materials and supplies:
- Dry clothes;
- Hot water;
- Dishwashing liquid;
- Sanding tool for the grill (buy one made for your type of grill);
- Vegetable oil;
- Lubricating oil (for example WD-40);
- Remove the cover or the tarp to catch the debris.
Before you start cleaning the grill, make sure you read the cleaning recommendations from the manufacturer since it can be different from what we suggest.
1Clean the BBQ grills
- Turn on your BBQ and let it heat up for about 10 to 15 minutes;
- Turn it off and use your grill brush to remove stuck food from the grill;
- Once your BBQ is completely cooled, you may need to wash it again to remove all the remaining fat and food;
- Remember to clean the top grill if there is one;
- Once clean and dry, oil your grill to protect it during the winter.
Here are some other tips for cleaning and maintaining your BBQ grill.
Turn off the power and disconnect the fuel source
- Once the power is off and the grill is cold, place a tarp or cloth under your grill to collect greasy food and debris (which can stain your patio);
- For long-term storage, it makes sense to disconnect the fuel source;
- You can prevent spiders or insects from making their home inside the tube of your BBQ by wrapping it in plastic wrap;
- For charcoal grills, remove all ashes from the barbecue and place them in a metal tray. Never remove the ashes while they are still hot!
Remove and clean flame screens, burners and Venturi tubes
- Remove and clean the flame screens, taking care to remove grease and dirt;
- Some gas grills have removable burners and Venturi tubes. Venturi tubes help to mix air and gas: very often spiders can make a nest in the tubes. When cleaning these parts, check for blocked or rusty holes. Blockages in the burner or venturi tubes can cause unintentional fires, so it is important to clean them regularly. Always read your owner’s manual before removing burners or venturi tubes, as reconnecting them may be dangerous;
- Leave the burners attached if you do not know how to remove or install them properly.