Insects that fly above our heads, such as mosquitoes, wasps, bees and flies, are often a source of disturbance. Despite the fact that these creatures are important in nature, we may want to get rid of them, especially when they invade our land and homes. Here are some tips to keep flies and wasps away from your home.
1. Keep fruit flies away
Small fruit flies are not dangerous, but they can be very disturbing in a house. Indeed, these tend to multiply very quickly. Fortunately, you can remove them with sweet liquid and vinegar.
Take a dish and fill it half way with juice and half way with vinegar. Then, put plastic wrap on top and make tiny holes with a needle. Put these containers all over the infected rooms. You can say goodbye to these invasive little bugs.
2. Get rid of fruit flies… with fruit!
If you don’t have vinegar and juice, you can get rid of fruit flies by putting a fruit in the bottom of a Mason jar and making a funnel with a piece of paper. Flies will be attracted by the smell, but will be trapped in the pot because of the funnel.
3. Don’t worry about flies on the patio anymore
You are constantly disturbed by flies when you try to rest on your balcony. Why not make a spray with essential oils?
- 1 litre of white vinegar or cider vinegar
- 20 drops of basil essential oil
- 20 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 20 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. dishwashing liquid
- A spray bottle
Steps to take
- Pour the ingredients into the spray bottle.
- Mix and use.
You can spray the mixture in the room or on your clothes (but not on your skin).
4. Get rid of wasps in your yard
If you have wasps in your yard, you can always make a trap to keep them away from your property. Here’s how to do it:
- Cut a plastic bottle in half.
- Put it on the balcony.
- Place jam or beer mixed with honey in your half-bottle.
- Replace the other part of the bottle with the neck facing down.
Wasps will want to taste jam or a mixture of beer and honey, but will not be able to get out of your homemade trap.
5. Here’s how to keep wasps away from your home
Not everyone enjoys coffee. Wasps, for example, hate the smell of this beverage. If you have wasps in your house, pour ground coffee into a cup, then light some of the coffee with a lighter. The smoke will eventually keep them away. If you crush a few cloves nearby, you’ll be saved! Of course, incense sticks are still as effective against wasps.
6. No more flies in your house with essential oils
You can scare away the flies in your home with your essential oils. Here’s how to do it:
- 2 Mason jars
- 10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil with lemon
- 10 drops of citronella essential oil
- One lemon, sliced
- One lime, sliced
- 4 sprigs of rosemary
- 2 lanterns
Steps to take
- Fill each jar with equal parts of lemon and lime slices.
- Add 2 sprigs of rosemary to each jar.
- Pour ¾ of water into the jars and add 10 drops of all the essential oils in a separate jar. Be careful not to mix them.
- To start the process, light a candle.
7. Say goodbye to flies with cloves
Flies hate the smell of cloves and when you combine them with lemon, you make sure they stay away from home.
- Lemon Lemon
Steps to take
- You must cut the lemon in half and insert the cloves directly into the pulp.
- Then place the lemon on your table and you will have absolutely no problem with flies!
8. Say goodbye to flies in your home with lavender
Essential oils are a good way to flavour your home, but also to get rid of flies. Here’s how to do it:
- Lavender essential oil
- Pot or box with lid
Steps to take
- You must apply several drops of lavender essential oil on the sponge, then place it in the jar.
- Close it tightly and leave it for several hours or until the next morning to maximize the smell.
- Then you can open it a little and place it in your house.
9. Keep flies away from the kitchen with a bottle of apple cider vinegar
- Remove the cap from the bottle (it should not be full).
- Cover the top with a plastic wrap and secure it with an elastic band.
- Make a hole for the fruit flies to enter. They will not be able to resist the smell of vinegar and will not be able to go out once they are inside.
10. Fill a Ziploc bag with water and some other household items
Here’s a really good way to say goodbye to flies forever!
- Pour two and a half cups of water into a mixing bowl.
- Add a generous amount of salt mixed with two to three squirts of lemon juice.
- Mix everything together.
- Pour your liquid into your Ziploc.
- Add a few pennies to the bag.
The contents of each bag have natural repellent properties against insects that will keep them away from your home. This method is sustainable because all you need is a small amount of the ingredients. Finally, take your bag filled with the mixture and hang it over your front door or the main entrance of your home. Say goodbye to flies and enjoy your summer in peace!